Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Model's in SL ... Whats the big deal?


Today.. I thought I'd blog about something that I have mixed feelings about in Second Life. 

As many of my friends know, I have long desired to obtain a modeling career in Second Life. When I first decided to get involved in this career, I made sure I had a great shape, skin, collected all the couture hair, bought the couture shoes, dresses, jewelry, eyelashes, make-up, etc.. etc.. etc... A person can spend tens of thousands of Lindens on just getting ready for the perfect model shape and style. 
I took my own pictures and created a portfolio. I posted it on flicker and linked it to my information so anyone looking at my profile would see the links. My friends gave me helpful hints.. help with photos', encouraged me to enter into contest to get my name out there. 

Others told me that I'd never make it. It's a world in which you have to have an "IN" to get a job, and if you want to go to school, it will cost you anywhere between 8,000L to 20,000L. That's right, up to 20,000L!!!!!! For what really? 
Let's put this in prospective, to be a model in real life you have to be about 6 ft tall, weigh 90 lbs, have fake boobs, no butt, and a young face. Most the world looks at the models and say... OMFG she's so skinny... they are borderline starved!

What do you really need in Second Life to be a model? A great shape, skin, a sense of style, a selection of hair, shoes, cloths, make up, jewelry, nails, and an Model AO. The model AO gives you several walks to use.. runs ways... fashion shows.... even just standing and modeling someones cloths in their shop. 

To me, a single, recently (well four months ago) laid off mother of one, with limited income, well 8000L is a lot, never mind 20,000L! Oh sure they has scholarships, but you have to have an "IN" to be nominated for them as well. Further, if you read most of the couture stores model applications they won't even look at you unless you are an graduate from an "ACCREDITED" model school. Do they get some sort of kick back? What really is the purpose of sending someone to school? 
Can't the store owners just look at you .. ask you to walk... ask you to put on several outfits and see if you have the right shape, and sense of style for their clothing? Apparently not, but they are willing to let you enter their contest, knowing that they will never pick you over one of the "qualified models". 

I myself have found that most of the contest are completely biased in the direct of an already established model. Irregardless of what they look like, for I have found that some Models selections of avatars are not what I would call beautiful.
Contest in Second Life are somewhat of a joke. There are the free for all contest that you can enter based off the months "moto". There are contest you can enter where you're friends can buy you first place at 10L a pop. The contest where you have to buy your win, require you to have a lot of friends, or a lot of alts, because you're friends can only vote once. So it's surprising when you see that one model with 1410 votes, when everyone else has maybe 10, 15. 
In a world where you can play out the dreams you can't live in real life, it shouldn't be so hard to make a career in Second Life. The economy is bad enough without pressuring those on limited incomes to spend valuable money to obtain something they want. And it shouldn't be allowed to crush the dreams or ambitions of someone so easily. 

When i wrote this there were over 200 modeling schools, and 100's of contest. Every woman dreams for a day of being a model. Of looking incredible in a dress, or outfit, of having everyone look at her and say "Wow, she's beautiful!", Every woman should have that opportunity without having to file bankruptcy! 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

On a side note I wanted to copy several of the "TOP MODELS" pictures on to a screen shot so everyone could see what I saw, however, they are all copyrighted. The Best I can do is send you to flicker and have you look at Miss MLC 2012 photo's.

No comments:

Post a Comment